10 Ways To Be Professional
Acting like a professional
really means doing what it takes to make others think of you as
reliable, respectful, and competent. Depending on where you work and the
type of job you have, this can take on many different forms.
There are, however, quite a few common traits when it comes to being professional. This includes the following:
1. Competence. You’re good at what you do – and you have the skills and knowledge that enable you to do your job well.
2. Reliability. People can depend on you to show up on time, submit your work when it’s supposed to be ready, etc.
3. Honesty. You tell the truth and are upfront about where things stand.
4. Integrity. You are known for your consistent principles.
5. Respect For Others. Treating all people as if they mattered is part of your approach.
6. Self-Upgrading. Rather than letting your skills or knowledge become outdated, you seek out ways of staying current.
Being Positive. No one likes a constant pessimist. Having an upbeat
attitude and trying to be a problem-solver makes a big difference.
Supporting Others. You share the spotlight with colleagues, take time
to show others how to do things properly, and lend an ear when
9. Staying Work-Focused. Not letting your private life
needlessly have an impact on your job, and not spending time at work
attending to personal matters.
10. Listening Carefully. People want to be heard, so you give people a chance to explain their ideas properly.
source : http://career-advice.monster.ca/in-the-workplace/starting-a-new-job/10-ways-to-be-professional-at-work-canada/article.aspx